Can you believe it’s time to start planning for the holiday shopping season already?
You may think it’s too soon, but with big shopping days like Black Friday (Nov. 23), Small Business Saturday (Nov. 24), and Cyber Monday (Nov. 26) coming up in November, you’ll want to start planning your email content now.
In particular, you’ll want your email content to be share worthy. This way your current audience will help you spread the word about your business to their friends, who make great prospects for shopping with you this holiday season.
So, how do you create share-worthy content? Here are some ideas:
1. Remind your audience of your shared values
People like to support and spend money with businesses that share the same values and support the same causes. They also like to share information regarding those values and causes. If there’s a particular cause your business supports or values you stand behind, the holidays are a great time to remind your audience.
Some interesting stats according to the goodpurpose 2012 study:
- 72% of consumers would recommend a brand that supports a good cause over one that doesn’t
- The survey also found that 71% of consumers would help a brand promote their products or services if there is a good cause behind them
- 73% of consumers would switch brands if a different brand of similar quality supported a good cause
2. Provide added value
You may be thinking about sending product ads to your email subscribers, but you also want to consider how you can add value for your audience as well. Content that people find valuable will get more use and more shares.
According to a study by the Custom Content Council:
- Two-thirds of consumers appreciate it when brands offer custom content
- More than three-quarters are fine with the fact that businesses are selling something as long as the information is valuable
- Nearly 75% say they prefer information from companies in the form of articles over ads.
3. Engage your audience with social campaigns and special offers
As you might imagine, people still love to get a great deal. And they love to share those savings with their friends. Especially when email and social media are used together. “Like us” campaigns with an offer in the subject line had higher overall revenue per email than those without offers.
Here are the top performing offers for “Like us” campaigns from the Experian Quarterly Benchmark Study (Q2 2012):
- An offer of a free item increased open rates by 47.3%
- Coupons increased click rates by 52.7%
- A percent off increased revenue per email by 95.4%
Be smart with your holiday content
As you put together your plans for the holiday season, look for ways you can create share-worthy content in the form of shared values, added value, and social campaigns and special offers to make this your most successful holiday yet.
What tips do you have for creating share-worthy holiday content? Tell us in the comments.
Make this your best holiday season ever! Download your FREE Small Business Saturday Toolkit.