Email marketing is a great tool for small businesses. It’s easy on the budget, let’s you send personalised, targeted messages to your contacts, it’s mobile friendly and it’s easy to track ROI.
We know that, and hopefully you know that, but just in case you need convincing we’ve collated these handy email marketing statistics from UK and global research. Enjoy!
- There are 897 million mobile email users worldwide.
- The total number of worldwide email accounts is expected to increase to over 4.3 billion accounts by year-end 2016.
- 247 billion emails are sent every day. This equates to one email every 0.00000035 seconds.
- 76% of UK businesses describe email marketing as ‘important’ or ‘very important’.
- 66% of marketers report that email delivers an ‘excellent’ or ‘good’ ROI
- 8% of businesses achieve more than half of their sales through email.
- The estimated average return from email marketing has increased by 16% since 2012 (£21.48 to £24.93 per £1 spent).
- 69% of B2C strategists have the ability to calculate revenues generated by email marketing activities, compared to 48% of B2B marketers.
- 69% of B2B marketers claim that they get back more than £6 for every £1 invested in email marketing.
- 21% of B2C strategists claim that they get back at least £61 from every £1 invested in email marketing.
- Email marketing continues to contribute 30% of all digital revenues.
- 91% of consumers check their emails daily.
- 66% of consumers have made a purchase online as a result of an email marketing message.
- Emails that include social sharing buttons have a click-through rate 158% higher than those that do not.
- Professionals spend an average of 13 working hours each week in their email inbox.
- 68% of UK smartphone owners use their device to check email. Only text messaging was more popular (92%), while using the mobile web (66%) and social networking (63%) were close behind.
- 41% of emails are opened on mobile devices.
- But… more than half of UK businesses describe their mobile email strategy as ‘basic’ (39%) or ‘non-existent’ (22%).
- Over 70% of mobile purchasing decisions are influenced by promotional emails.
- A third of businesses referred to social media as an effective technique to drive email lists.
Has email marketing delivered results for your business? Have you seen any other statistics you’d like to share? Let us know in the comments.