July is an important month for those of us in North America. In the United States, the Fourth of July is when we celebrate the signing of our Declaration of Independence. And, on July 1st, our friends to the north celebrate Canada Day — a day commemorating the anniversary of when Canada became a single nation.
In addition to those landmark occasions, July has a lot of other great reasons to celebrate. Like chocolate! This month there are no less than six “Chocolate Days.“
This month of chocolate starts out with National Chocolate Wafer Day (July 3rd), then moves on to World Chocolate Day (July 7th). Followed by National Milk Chocolate with Almonds Day (July 8th), Peanut Butter and Chocolate Day, (July 23rd), and National Hot Fudge Sundae Day (July 25th). Finally, the days of chocolate wrap up with National Milk Chocolate Day (July 28th) — no almonds this time.
Now, in my book, every day should be Chocolate Day but considering there’s more than one special day for chocolate every month of the year, I’ll survive not having every day be for chocolate. Maybe.
Now I’m thinking about brownies but this month isn’t all about chocolate. July has a lot of other great holidays to offer as well.
July holidays — 2021
- July 1st – In addition to being Canada Day, this day is also International Joke Day. No joke! This is a great day to send cheesy “dad jokes” to your customers, play knock-knock on your Facebook page, or tell jokes to your employees and share their reactions in Instagram Stories.
- July 7th – In addition to being World Chocolate Day, it’s Tell the Truth Day. While not an “official” holiday, Tell the Truth Day is about always being honest. While a rather serious type of holiday, this is a great day to challenge your social media followers to post “one truth” about themselves. Or, better yet, challenge them to a game of “Two Truths and a Lie” with the winners getting something special, like a free tape measure (in honor of National Tape Measure Day, July 14th).
- July 10th – National Kitten Day. I have a 12-week-old kitten that we adopted from a local shelter, so this day is especially dear to my heart. While created for encouraging everyone to adopt rather than shop, it’s important to get the message out in the most cute-and-cuddly way possible. So, start a fundraiser for your local cat shelter and challenge your customers to donate a small amount every time they see a kitten picture on social media. Go a step further and encourage them to post pictures of their own kittens to boost donations.
- July 15th – National Give Something Away Day. This day is a great day, no matter what type of business you have. You can encourage your readers to give laughter to friends, a helping hand to neighbors, or cash donations to a local charity. Giving starts with you, so start the goodwill by giving your customers something they’d like to have, whether that’s a discount, information or advice you usually don’t give for free, or a matching donation to a local nonprofit.
All-in-all, there are so many great holidays this month it’s impossible to name them all! But, in case I didn’t mention one that fits your brand, here are a few more holidays to think about sharing with your customers this month:
Reasons to feel good:
- July 3rd – National Compliment Your Mirror Day
- July 11th – Cheer Up the Lonely Day
- July 13th – Embrace You Geekness Day
Reasons to try new foods and share some recipes (besides chocolate):
- July 14th – National Mac and Cheese Day
- July 16th – National Cherry Day
- July 21st – National Junk Food Day
Reasons to have some fun:
- July 8th – National Video Game Day
- July 30th – International Day of Friendship
- July 31st – Harry Potter’s Birthday (For Wizarding World fans all over the planet, Harry Potter is definitely important enough that everyone should celebrate his birthday — including muggles.)
When you’re done working out the details for Harry’s birthday, check out the infographic below for more ideas on how to engage with your customers this month.
Get help planning out the rest of your year with our full Online Marketing Calendar, complete with a free template and a full list of holidays you can use to plan the rest of this year’s marketing campaigns.