It’s easy to see how pervasive mobile technology has become.
Take a look around and you’ll see people with their faces buried in their mobile phones.
Mobile is everywhere…in our hands, on our nightstands and desks, on the news…everywhere. Mobile is at the intersection of all the most important aspects of our lives — family, work, socialization, fun, and business.
If you need more convincing, here are a few statistics that will make the case:
- eMarketer estimates the number of U.S. consumers with a smartphone will more than double from 93.1 million at the end of 2011 to 192.4 million by 2016, when 58.5 percent of the total U.S. population will have a smart phone.
- 55 percent of adult phone owners now go online using their phones, and 17 percent do most of their online browsing on their phone rather than on a computer or other device. Most do so for convenience, but for some, their phone is their only option for online access. (Pew Internet.)
- Research has also shown that more people have mobile phones than toothbrushes worldwide.
What does this rampant use of mobile mean for your small business? Let’s take a look.
The way consumers find and choose restaurants, contractors, spas, stores, and entertainment has evolved dramatically.
In addition to search engines like Google or Bing, consumers use city guides like Citysearch, review sites like Yelp, and other mobile apps to discover new businesses.
They use sites and apps like these to help them make decisions in the moment while their purchase intent is incredibly high.
Consider the following:
- 75 percent used a mobile device to get real-time location-based information. (Pew Internet.)
- 90 percent of mobile searches lead to an action.
- 70 percent who ran a local search via mobile acted within an hour. (CMO Council.)
Bottom line: We live in a mobile society. Potential customers are making decisions based on their mobile behavior. If you don’t capitalize on this behavior, you may lose business to your competitors who have embraced this new reality.
So how do you use this mobile behavior to your advantage to get new customers?
In our guide, How Mobile Search Can Help You Find Your Next Great Customer, we’ll show you the three steps you can take to capitalize on this mobile behavior and never miss an opportunity to bring in new customers.
Tip: When the guide opens, you can save the document to refer back to later — simply right click and Save As. You can also right click on the link itself and Save As. Or, you can print it directly from your browser!
If you have any questions, comments, or feedback — post them in the comments below. We’d love to hear about your experiences with how new customers are finding your business.