So, just when you thought you’d got the hang of using Twitter for your small business, they introduce advertising. That’s right, promoted Tweets are now available to small businesses. But what does that mean for you and how do you go about using them?
There are two types of advertising: promoted accounts and promoted Tweets. So, when do you use them and what do they mean?
If you want to grow your followers, then promoted accounts may be for you. Essentially, Twitter looks at the followers you already have and matches people with similar interests to your account. The user will see you as a suggestion for an account to follow.
Promoted account campaigns can also be targeted down to country and city level. So, if you’re looking to increase followers in a certain city, you can run a promoted account campaign to that city only.
If you want to target your message to a certain group of people AND grow your followers, promoted Tweets will help you do this. Promoted Tweets are a message you’ve already Tweeted, or you can create one specifically, and then choose the type of account you want to target. As with promoted accounts, you can target geographically (geo-target) to a specific country or city.
It’s best to know what your objectives and goals are before you get started. Also have a budget in mind so you know what that will be when you set up your campaign.
Now, down to the nitty gritty. How do you set up a promoted Tweet or account? Follow these 3 steps and you’ll be ready to go.
- Go to https://ads.twitter.com where you will be asked to log in, using your Twitter name and password.
- Select ‘create new campaign’ and you’re off!
- You can now choose to create a promoted Tweets or promoted accounts campaign.
Here are the steps to set up a promoted Tweet. The promoted accounts steps work in a similar way.
1. Name your campaign and set the dates you want it to run. Make sure you pick a name that is relevant to the campaign so you can tell it apart from any others you set up.
2. Select your targeting options. There are two ways you can do this: use key words or interests and followers. With key words, you choose the types of words you think will come up when your target audience searches on Twitter. If you choose to use interests and followers, you insert the @names of the types of followers you want to target and then pick the types of interests your followers have.
Pick the location(s) you want to target. Remember, this can be countries or right down to specific cities.
Now select the devices and platforms you want to target.
3. Next choose the gender to target. Are you only looking to target men or women, or both?Now you need to choose the Tweet(s) you want to promote. For your first campaign pick ‘manually select’.
4. Now you need to set your spend. So, set your total budget and the maximum amount you want to spend each day.
5. Save and launch your campaign and you’re there!
Don’t forget that you need to monitor your campaign to see how it’s doing and make any necessary adjustments to spend.
And as important, review results at the end of the campaign to see whether you achieved your goals. But that’s a whole different how to…
Have questions? Ask us in the comments section!