As a small business owner, you add countless value and expertise to your community. Customers trust you and encourage their friends to walk through your door. With so much of your customer base drummed up by word of mouth, you might find yourself wondering whether or not it’s worth it to start a small business website. Thing is, websites cost money and a ton of time. They may even require the need for a web designer. Right? Well, you might be surprised by the answer.
How much does it cost to create a website for a small business?
With Constant Contact’s website builder, you have a website-building tool that helps small businesses create professional-grade websites in just a few hours. No need for a web designer or developer. So you’ll save your time and money. Continue reading for more information.
Costs associated with building a website
Creating a business website through Constant Contact is an attainable price. You can skip out on the costs for small business website design. However, there are a few other expenses associated with website creation. Thankfully, this keeps away the biggest expense: the average cost of website design for small businesses.
Below, we’ll break down the process of building a website and highlight a few minor costs along the way. We’ll run you through:
- Purchasing your domain name
- Creating a virtual store
- Using SEO tools to drive traffic
- Outsourcing writers
Purchasing your domain name
Your domain name is the key to your online presence, and it sets the tone for your visitor’s experience. It’s what people will type into the URL and how they’ll search for you on the internet. Thus, you need to pick one that reflects the spirit of your business and brand. Here are a few other tips to think about when choosing your domain.
A strong domain name is:
- Memorable, short, and simple to spell
- Close to your business’ name
- Free of numbers (these make a URL harder to spell)
- Ideally uses the “.com” extension
- The same name that your business uses on social media
Type in your desired domain name to scan through pages of available options, then choose the URL you want, select it, and check out. With most of Constant Contact’s yearly website plans, your domain name auto-renews so that it won’t be released and snatched up by someone else.
Domain privacy is also included in your purchase, which means that Constant Contact protects your identity and hides your personal information from spammers. Constant Contact also offers domain management, which allows you to connect any of your existing domain names and manage them under one umbrella account.
Creating a virtual store
Virtual stores attract customers from all corners of the web and allow people to purchase your products at any hour of the day. In fact, mobile stores are predicted to account for 72.9% of digital sales by 2021.
If you’re thinking about expanding your brick and mortar store to a virtual one or creating a new online shop, consider setting it up through Constant Contact’s online store platform.
All you have to do is:
- Input your information
- Select a template from Constant Contact’s array of professional design layouts
- Customize your template’s color and fonts
- Upload photos of your products
- Add descriptions
If you want, you can even group similar items together into categories. For example, you could combine “Shoes” or “Most Popular.” Constant Contact’s ecommerce platform allows you to manage your store easily — add and remove products, track orders, or offer customers free shipping or discounts to boost sales.
Constant Contact’s ecommerce website platform is formatted for optimal functionality on both computers and mobile devices. It can also accept payments on credit and debit cards through PayPal, Stripe, and Mollie.
With our Performance Analytics tool, view who has been looking at your store and which demographics have been making purchases. These insights will enable you to pick out trends and then adjust your website and products accordingly.
Constant Contact’s ecommerce website platform is free to create and when you’re ready to publish your online store you pick the plan that best suits your business needs.
Tools to drive traffic
Once you’ve set up the bulk of your website, it’s time to tweak its settings to take advantage of every feature. One of the most common ways in which small businesses draw in customers online is by using Google Ads, which helps you insert your site in the top Google search results for chosen keywords.
- It uses a system called PPC, or “Pay-per-click,” meaning that you only pay for your ad if people click on it.
- Popular keywords cost more and might be financially unattainable for small businesses because they’ve often been secured by national marketing campaigns.
- Google Ads is a popular way for small businesses to generate traffic for a website, but it’s not the only effective way to do so.
- It’s often the first thing you see at the top of Google once you’ve entered a search.
In your Google search results, right under the paid ads, you’ll see regular, unsponsored, search results for your keywords. Maximize the times your site lands in people’s natural Google search results by using SEO, or search engine optimization.
Search Engine Optimization:
- This process includes naturally including a specific keyword throughout your website’s content to appear in the search results for that keyword. This is essentially a free way to get people to your website.
- However, with SEO, the competitiveness of your keyword depends on how popular it is.
If you want your Google Ads and SEO campaigns to be effective, you must be vigilant over them. If you don’t read analytics (performance metrics) for your ads, adjust your keywords according to trends, and adapt your ads to Google’s shifting landscape, they could end up going unnoticed.
Instead of going back to school to get a degree in online marketing, use the Google Ads tool. This pay-per-click tool automatically shifts your ads to the front of search results, driving traffic and increasing sales without requiring much extra effort from you.
How to use Constant Contact’s Google Ads tool
All you have to do is:
- Create a Google Ads account
- Input your information
- Set your budget for ad spending.
That’s it. Our A.I.-generated tools do the rest of the work. Google Ads with Constant Contact selects industry accurate keywords for your campaign and automatically optimizes your spending for the best results possible.
With our performance analytics tools, track your ads daily. We’ll also send you weekly campaign performance summaries so you’ll see who is clicking on what ads, and adjust your campaign accordingly.
Outsourcing Writers Can Cost Money
No matter how effective your ads are, they will lead curious visitors back to your website. Therefore, It’s important that your website’s text is interesting and professionally written. Hiring a pro to write your website’s text — from blog posts to newsletters — can be a good move for business.
It’s especially important to make sure that your website’s main pages (like the home page, about page, and contact page) sound professional and showcase your business’s personality. Your website’s copy is the voice of your business. It’s the conversation between you and your visitor.
Outsourcing content writers can cost serious money — the rate for professional services varies widely but could easily exceed $1500 per page — but good content also generates thousands of dollars in revenue.
QUOTE: Looking for some help at a price that fits your budget? Get a free consultation from our professional services team.
Of course, the cheapest way to build content for your website is to create it yourself. If you go this route, be sure that your writing is concise and includes a “call to action” within each block to inspire your visitor to act. To save yourself money on content outsourcing costs, check out our guide on how to write content for a website and do it yourself.
Benefits of a having website
Now that you have a sense of the costs associated with building a website for your business, here are a few of the rewards.
Websites are great for advertising your products and services:
- Create effective ads with ease – The Google Ads tool linked to Constant Contact’s website builder allows your ads to pop up at the top of the search engine for your industry’s common keywords, appealing to new potential customers.
- Save money on printing paper-based ads and brochures – Through a professional website, you’re able to make announcements and updates with the click of a button. This saves you money in printing costs.
- Increases your access to new customers – With a website, you don’t need to rely on word-of-mouth to draw in new customers — that way, anyone who types in your keywords will stumble upon your site. If they like what they see, they’re likely to share your site with family and friends. A website is universally accessible and allows you to expand your base to new markets.
- Streamlines your distribution of info – A professional website enables you to gather your subscribers in one list and send information to all of them at once. Email your customers about changes in business, deals, and new products, and avoid missing out on sales due to miscommunications.
- Lets you advertise to new locations – Piggybacking on the last point, a website makes it easy to advertise changes to your business’ location, and include photos of new addresses on your site and in e-Newsletters.
- A website helps you sell products to new markets – By automatically embedding SEO keywords and Google Ads to attract the demographics that you’re interested in, you can expand your market and get noticed by new groups of consumers.
A website provides a way to differentiate yourself
- Prove that people love your products – 90% of consumers surveyed said that online reviews influence their decisions about what to buy. Including testimonials from satisfied customers allows you to buffer your credibility and provide proof of quality.
- Places you on the same terrain as your competitors – Without a website, your small business will not be able to attract the same customer count as your online competitors. As commerce moves to the digital world, businesses with an online presence survive longer.
A website is a home for employees, clients, and customers
- Draw in new employees – When you post a job opening on a job search platform like Linkedin or ZipRecruiter, your chances of attracting qualified applicants will increase if you link them to a professionally designed website. Potential applicants can read about your business, see what your mission is about, and look at photos of your work.
- Engage returning customers – Use your website’s sign-up form to add contacts to your email list, then send out regular emails and newsletters to offer deals and promotions for returning customers.
- Websites are a great tool for customer service – With an embedded form on your contact page, as well as links to your email, phone number, and social media, a website makes it easier than ever to speak to customers directly and address their concerns. Quick and effective customer service will ensure that your customers remember your business.
Your website becomes a platform of authority
- Showcase your work on your website’s portfolio – Gather and organize photos of your best work in a virtual portfolio, organize them, and write in descriptions.
- Builds reputation – If your text is full of errors or your design is sloppy, people may judge your business unfairly. A professionally designed website with a trustworthy and likable voice goes a long way toward building your credibility.
- A website builds brand identity – A compelling voice and image build a brand. It sparks relationships. When people like what they see, they immediately feel a sense of connection. Once you’ve provided them a service and done a good job, this connection will manifest into loyalty.
How much does a small business website cost again?
You can try Constant Contact’s website builder for free, and once you’re ready to publish, choose one of our website plans to show the world your creation.
Now that you know how inexpensive it is to get your website off the ground, perhaps it’s time to buy your domain and kick off your website journey? If so, all it takes is a few quick steps:
- Type in your domain name, and choose the one that feels right for you.
- Check out and the domain is yours.
- Start building your custom website through Constant Contact’s website builder.
Happy website building!