These days, every business needs a professional website. However, not every business owner is tech-savvy enough to create one from scratch. Wouldn’t it be great if there were pre-made, customizable website themes that took care of all the complex coding for you? Fortunately, with Constant Contact’s A.I.-driven website builder, there are. All you have to do is select a website theme that suits your business or personal blog. Then, customize it to your liking. Best of all, you can try it for free.
So, how do you choose a theme that’s right for you? Just follow these steps:
- Determine which design elements are important to you
- Tailor your website theme’s functionality to your business needs
- Let the website builder do the rest
How to choose a theme for your website | Initial factors to consider
When you try Constant Contact’s website builder for free, you gain access to several ready-made website themes. These dictate the style, layout, and aesthetics of your website. In other words, your chosen website theme sets the stage for everything else.
Some website themes are better suited for certain industries than others. For instance, if you run a photography business, you’ll need more space to showcase your photography portfolio than if you run a bookkeeping business.
The key to choosing a theme is defining your business requirements and finding a website theme that can meet them. So, let’s jump into the process of evaluating your options.
Determine which design elements are important to you
There are two critical aspects of your website’s layout to consider when choosing your website theme. These include: the menu bar and the home page header
The menu bar
The menu bar is one of the most important elements of your website since it’s responsible for the navigation. Think of your menu bar as the compass of your website. Visitors rely on it to find their way around and explore. Without it, visitors can get frustrated and lost.
When it comes to choosing a menu bar, prioritize functionality above all else. Menu bars should be easy to find, easy to read, and easy to use. Here are the most common types of menu bars:
- Top horizontal: This type of menu bar is located at the top of the page. It’s the most popular type of menu bar online. In turn, it’s a trusty option if you want to keep things simple since most internet users are familiar with it.
- Fixed top horizontal: This type of menu bar is also located at the top of a web page. However, as you scroll down, it travels with you, remaining fixed at the top of your screen. Thus, it’s great for websites that feature long web pages.
- Side vertical: As its name suggests, this type of menu bar is shown vertically on the side of the web page. It’s ideal for websites that focus on visuals, since it doesn’t interrupt the middle of the page, and allows the visuals to be seen first. In some industries, a first impression can be everything!
Having a preferred type of menu bar will help you narrow down a website theme quicker.
The homepage header
Next, you need to evaluable each website theme’s header options. Your website’s header is the first thing new visitors see, so it needs to make a positive, memorable first impression. It should also communicate your business’ mission and brand effectively.
To craft your homepage header, use a combination of visuals and text, including videos, photos, and compelling taglines. Here are the most common formats of homepage headers:
- Static image without text: Does your business rely mostly on visuals to draw people in? If so, the solo static image header is the way to go. It gives you the space to show off a powerful image, which can be great if you run a travel agency, art gallery, or photography business. As the saying goes, a picture is worth a thousand words.
- Static image with text: Not all businesses can be described by a stand-alone image. If you need some supporting text to clarify what your business does, use this type of header. Add an attention-grabbing headline, a supporting paragraph, and a call to action somewhere near your header’s image. This draws them in, explains a bit about you or your business, and then gives them something to do — click through.
- A slideshow of images: If your business serves a variety of customers or offers several products and services, a slideshow is a wonderful option to explore. It gives you the chance to share multiple images and various headline and tagline combinations. Simply choose an image for each category within your business and add text overlays as needed.
- A looping video: Video content is by far the most engaging. Use a looping video in your header to captivate visitors right away. Most businesses can use a looping video header, as long as they choose a high-quality video that aligns with their brand.
Note: Video requires the most bandwidth. Always be sure to have friends or coworkers test out your page for you to ensure the functionality works.
When choosing the visuals for your header, make sure you acquire adequate copyright licenses. Stock photos usually come with proper licensing, making them a safe choice for your site. When you use a website theme from Constant Contact, you’ll gain access to over 500,000 stock visuals with no copyright restrictions. Or you can use your own!
Tailor your website theme’s functionality to your business needs
Constant Contact’s website builder makes it incredibly easy to find a website theme suited for your specific industry. By choosing an industry-specific website theme, all the website features you need will come built-in.
Here is an example of what it looks like when you select your website industry with Constant Contact.
Here are a few types of businesses that can benefit from an industry-specific website theme:
- Small businesses – If you run a small business, you need tools to help you grow your customer base. Constant Contact’s website themes provide email subscription forms, helping you keep in touch with interested visitors, as well as an About page to tell your business’ story. Plus, with a fully functional ecommerce page, you can set up shop online to start selling your products or services.
- Travel agents – If you run a travel business, your website needs ample space to showcase travel photography and videos. Constant Contact’s travel theme offers just that. Plus, you can feature customer reviews with a convenient Google My Business integration, and use your blog to write about travel topics and attract new visitors.
- Beauty artists – If you’re a makeup artist, hairstylist, or esthetician, you know that maintaining a consistent client base is critical to the success of your business. Constant Contact’s website themes give you the space to show off your beauty portfolio and impress potential clients.
- Photographers – If you are a photographer, having a beautiful online portfolio is critical to scoring new clients. Constant Contact website themes come with stunning photo galleries, allowing you to show off your work and establish your credibility with potential clients.
- Restaurants – If you run a restaurant, you already have a lot on your plate. Managing employees and curating new menus leaves little room to worry about how to choose a website theme. When using Constant Contact, you can share beauty shots of menu items, highlight Google My Business reviews, and integrate delivery service applications with ease.
- Musicians – As a musician, you know that getting your music out there on the internet is important. Constant Contact’s website themes give you the space to drop new tracks, showcase your concert calendar, and release new music videos all in one place. Plus, offer custom merchandise with easy-to-use ecommerce features such as an online store or shoppable landing pages.
- Personal portfolios – If you’re a freelancer, artist, blogger, or job-seeker, the perfect website theme is just a click away with Constant Contact. Show off your accomplishments and develop your personal brand with a well-designed website. Then link to Facebook, add visual content, and include a contact form so others can reach out.
Every Constant Contact website theme is optimized for mobile with responsive design. This means your website layout will automatically adjust to any screen size. Regardless of whether your customers use tablets, smartphones, or large desktops to browse the web, your responsive theme will show up flawlessly every time.
Let the website builder do the rest
Once you’ve chosen the perfect theme tailored to your industry, Constant Contact’s website builder takes care of everything else for you. All you need to do is provide a few answers about your aesthetic preferences and business functions. Within minutes, you’ll be presented with a beautiful website theme that’s completely customizable.
Your website theme will include the following features:
- A customized Home page
- An About page
- A page to show off your portfolio, gallery, or products/services
- A Contact page
- A blog
- An ecommerce store (if desired)
- Plenty of space for images and videos
- Google My Business and Google Maps integrations
- Facebook feed integrations
- Other relevant third-party integrations
Any feature you need comes pre-built. That’s the convenience of the Constant Contact website builder.
The benefits of using a pre-built website theme
Choosing a ready-made website theme is an ideal option if you want to simplify the website building process. Besides, you’ll also enjoy all of these added benefits:
- You’ll save money: Creating a website theme framework from scratch is technical and time-consuming. If you don’t know how to code yourself, you’ll have to pay big bucks for someone else to do it for you. Why spend money when you can test out a website template that’s customized to support your business’ needs for free?
- You’ll save time: Even if you can afford to build a new website from scratch, it’s going to take a while. Using a website builder speeds things up considerably. Your new website theme can be up and running today, allowing you to attract new customers ASAP.
- Proper coding: Coding is tricky, even if you’re well-versed in it. Fortunately, the developers of ready-made website themes and templates know exactly what they’re doing. They’ve got their coding skills down pat. As a result, you won’t have to deal with any code-related hiccups that would come with tackling it yourself.
- It’s easy to use: A good theme is one that makes it easy to customize. When you use a ready-made website theme, you enjoy an intuitive, simple interface with plenty of customization options. This makes it easy to update your blog, add new photos to your home page, or adjust the layout of your content.
- It’s SEO friendly: A website is pointless if no one can find it. When you use Constant Contact’s SEO friendly website themes, you enjoy the convenience of having all the search engine optimization (SEO) tools you need in one place. This allows your website to appear in search results when a user searches for something related to your business or blog. Plus, you’ll gain access to insightful SEO data and analytics reports. In turn, you’ll show up on Google’s search results in no time.
- Fast-loading pages: Page speed is a major component of SEO. If your pages are improperly coded or compressed, they will take too long to load, putting off new website visitors before they even get the chance to see your site. With Constant Contact’s customizable website themes, you won’t need to worry about this problem.
- A.I.-powered support: If you run into problems with a homemade website theme, those are up to you to solve on your own. On the other hand, a pre-made website theme comes with many helpful resources. With Constant Contact’s A.I.-powered website builder, you’ll enjoy timely support for any issues you encounter.
With all of these amazing benefits, it’s no wonder that many businesses take advantage of ready-made website themes.
Choose your free website theme today
When choosing a theme, it’s important to do so with care since it has a significant impact on your website’s design and functionality. By selecting a professional, mobile-responsive theme, you will attract new visitors and boost your reputation online. Thankfully, with Constant Contact, you don’t have to sacrifice time or money to try it out and see the benefits.
To set up your new website theme, just follow these steps:
- Determine your industry and pick a theme that best suits your business model.
- Create your website using the customization options.
- Select your stock images or upload your own.
- Add in your content.
- Sit back and relax.
Just like that, you’ll have a high-quality website to call your own.